This recipe was inspired by a trip my husband and I took a few years ago. We went to spend a romantic weekend in Newquay, a gorgeous little seaside town perched atop Cornwall's magnificent Atlantic cliffs. With crystal blue waters and miles of sandy beaches reminiscent of any mediteranean holiday.
The weekend however, was marked by much more than the views, it was what we ate that left me lusting for more.
Tucked away on the high street and pretty easy to walk past and overlook, was a tiny take-away style restaurant called, Little Kahuna. It had no more than six tables for eating in and a queue out the door for take-away.
I ordered the crab and mussel linguine and asked that my mussels be substituted with chicken.
When it arrived it was beutifully plated and adorned with spring onion micro greens. It was magic. Bite after bite was perfectly balanced and a match made in heaven.
The umami flavours from the chorizo and sun-dried tomatoes made this dish one that I wanted to deconstruct and make mine. Upon returning home I made the dish in my own way, inspired by that experience. Using clams instead of mussels and keeping the chicken. It has been a favourite in our home many years on. The restaurant has since moved to a bigger location, most likely due to it's success. I don't see this on their menu anymore, but I can't wait to try anything else they have to offer when we visit again. Enjoy XOXO
Chicken, Clam and Crab Linguine with Sun-dried Tomatoes and Chorizo
60 ml. Extra virgin olive oil
4 Garlic cloves, minced
400 g. Linguine
250 g. Jumbo white crab meat
400 g. Clams, frozen and ready cooked, thawed
130 g. Chorizo, diced/cubed
5 Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless, cubed
100 g. Sundried tomatoes, roughly chopped
1/2 Lemon, juice and zest
1/2 tsp. Tomato paste concentrate
125 ml. Dry white wine
125 ml. Chicken stock
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/2 tsp. Crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
Spring onion micro greens to garnish (optional), or fresh chopped parsley.
1. Put a large stock pot of salted water on the boil for pasta.
2. In a large frying pan, heat olive oil on high heat and add chorizo. Fry, stirring until crisp.
3. Add chicken, and fry on high heat briefly. Stirring so it doesn't burn, about 1 minute. Add sundried tomatoes, garlic, tomato paste and crushed red pepper flakes, if using. Let tomato paste fry for 30 seconds while stirring.
4. Lower heat to medium. Add lemon juice, zest, white wine and chicken stock.
Let reduce on medium heat for 15 minutes.
Add clams and cook for 5 mins. more.
5. Meanwhile, add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package directions for al dente.
6. Drain and add pasta to chicken and clam mixture. Add crab and stir to incorporate gently, so not to break up the little lumps too much.
Cook for 1 minute more. Serve immediatly, adorned with micro greens or fresh chopped parsley.
Here is a version without the clams:) Still delicious.