I don't make fresh pasta very often , but when the mood hits, it's always very satisfying and most certainly, therapeutic. One of my favourite pasta dishes is my spicy clam, chorizo and crab linguine. I had made fresh tagliatelle the other morning not really knowing what I would make with it. This recipe came together like magic. It only took 15 minutes start to finish. Topped with a gorgeous poached egg, it is now going on my weekly favourites list. You can use fresh store bought pasta if you wish, it won't alter the dish in any way. I used tinned jumbo lump crab meat. It is so versatile. I also used chilli and garlic infused extra virgin olive oil. If you don't have this, just use regular extra virgin olive oil and add crushed red chilli flakes to taste and up the garlic to 5 cloves instead of 4.
Creamy Pea and Crab Tagliatelle with Chorizo and Poached Egg
300 g. Fresh egg tagliatelle pasta
145 g. Lump crab meat, tinned undrained (feel free to substitute with fresh crab if you wish)
150 g. Chorizo, cubed
150 g. Onion, diced (about 1 medium onion)
250 g. Peas, thawed from frozen
30 g. Salted butter (about 2 tbsps)
200 ml. Chicken stock or water
150 ml. Dry white wine
150 ml. Single cream
½ Lemon, Juice from half a lemon
1 bunch fresh parsley to serve
Salt and pepper to taste
4 Poached eggs, Reserving the cooking water to reheat eggs later.
A bowl of ice water to stop poached eggs from cooking further until ready to serve.
Here is a link with an easy step by step photo tutorial :)
1. Make poached eggs. Place in ice water bath until ready to serve.
2. Put a large stockpot with generously salted water on the boil.
3. In a large frying pan, set to medium heat, add oil, butter, onion, garlic and chorizo. Take a few sprigs of parsley and finely chop the stalks only. Add them to frying pan. Sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add white wine.
4. Add fresh pasta to boiling water. Cook for 4 minutes.
5. While pasta is cooking, add crab, chicken stock/ water and lemon juice. Cook for 2 minutes on medium/low heat. Drain pasta and add to frying pan with crab. Do not stir too much so crab chunks don't dissolve. Add cream, lower heat to low. Heat for 1 minute more. Taste. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
6. Add cooked pasta and fresh chopped parsley. Using two spoons , toss to incorporate. Leave in pan until ready to plate.
7. Lower poached eggs into hot reserved cooking water. Divide pasta amongst 4 plates, top with a poched egg.
Serve with extra chilli oil and grated cheese. Devour!!