This delicious traditional bread filled with charcuterie meats, and chicken, is a very delicious addition to your Easter table. In fact, Easter is not Easter in our house without one. There is another version with hard boiled eggs, but I prefer this deliciously indulgent, meat filled one. It makes a great mid-night snack. This is my husband's aunts recipe with a few tweaks from myself. Feel free to substuite any of the charcuterie meats for your favourites.
Folar de Carnes de Páscoa ❦ Portuguese Easter Bread with Meats
About 10 slices
Approximately 2 hours
For the dough
600 g. Plain flour
100 g. Salted butter, melted
30 g. Fresh yeast
4 Eggs, large and free-range
100 ml. warm water
100 ml. Extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsps. Granulated sugar
1 pinch of salt
For the filling
250 g. Chicken breast, cooked and diced
225 g. Chorizo
150 g. Bacon lardons
150 g. Proscuito, torn in small pieces
150 g. Ham, torn in small pieces
1 egg, beaten to brush bread before baking
1. Dust your surface with flour. In a small bowl, dissolve the fresh yeast with a few tablespoons of the warm water, using a fork.
2. In a large bowl, mix flour with water and mix well. Drop flour onto the floured counter and using your hands open up the middle to make a hole. Into the hole add eggs, extra virgin olive oil, butter, dissolved yeast, sugar and salt.
3. Working the dough from the outside into the cavity, knead well until all ingredients are very well incorporated. Dough should begin to loosen from counter, dust with flour if needed. Form into a large bowl and cover with a clean tea towel. Place in a warm spot and let rise until doubled in size.
4. Once doubled, tip out onto floured counter. With a rolling pin, roll into a large rectangle. About 30x45 cm. approximately . See photo.
5.Spread meats in a single layer all over dough. Fold into thirds, and place in centre of a greased baking sheet. Cover with a tea towel and let rest 15 minutes.
5. Pre-heat oven to 180°c/ 350°f.
My oven takes about 15 minutes, which is time you need to let dough rest after filling. Don't skip this step. Pre-heating is very important when baking breads and pastries. :)
6. Brush dough with beaten egg. Place in centre of pre-heated oven and bake for 40 minutes. Should be beautifully golden brown.
7. Serve warm or cold