I love chicken wings! I mean, I crave them. The sticky sweet and spicy glaze. The crispy skin. Oven baked to perfection. Chicken wings have become very overly complicated lately, with every chef claiming to have the secret to perfect wings. I am here to tell you the secret is in the temperature and not the method. My wings always come out perfectly crisp and juicy. I oven bake mine at 230°c/450°f.
I let mine marinate overnight...they are soooo delicious.
The meat cooks perfectly in 30 minutes. I turn the broiler/grill onto high for the last 5 minutes to get them really browned and crisp.
The Best Maple Bourbon Whiskey Chicken Wings
Serves 2 as an appetiser or 4 served with a carb., such as rice
1 kilo Chicken wings
250 ml. Barbeque sauce, I use Bull's eye brand
150 ml. Maple syrup
125 ml. Bourbon whisky
2 Bay leaves
1/2 Lemon, juice only
1 tbsp. Sea salt, course
1 tbsp. Pimentón dulce, sweet paprika
1 tbsp. Garlic poder
1 tbsp. Onion powder
1 tsp. Oregano
Fresh black pepper to taste
Hot sauce to taste, I used La Cholula brand, to taste (optional)
2 Fresh red chillis, chopped (optional)
1 tbsp. Fresh flat leaf parsley
1. Place all ingredients in a large plastic freezer bag or bowl.
Let marinate a minimum of 3 hours or up to overnight.
2. Pre-heat oven to 230°c/450°f.
Lift chicken from marinade and let as much drip off as possible. Discard the marinade.
On baking sheet, place wings in a single layer.
3. Place in centre of pre-heated oven and bake for 30 mins. turning once about half way through.
4. Turn on your oven's broiler/grill to high, without moving wings from centre rack. Grill on high for 5 minutes or until nicely crisp and browned. All ovens vary so do not walk away.
5. Transfer to a platter, sprinkle with parsley and fresh chilli if using. Serve immediately.