Orecchiette with Sausage Romanesco Cauliflower and Burrata
Sausage Romanesco Cauliflower with Orecchiette Pasta with Burrata and Vermouth
500 g. Orecchiette pasta
400 g. Italian inspired pork sausage, casings removed and crumbled
125 g. *Burrata cheese, I used Deliziosa brand.
125 ml. Vermouth, I only use Noilly Prat
500 ml. Veal or pork stock, store bought or homemade
80 ml. Extra virgin olive oil
1 Romanesco cauliflower, florets and outer leaves
4 Cloves of garlic
2 Bay leaves
3 Sprigs of fresh thyme
1 Lemon, juice and zest
1 tsp. Oregano
1 tbsp. Fennel seeds
1 tbsp. Tomato paste
2 Tomatoes, cut into cubes
Salt and freshly cracked black pepper (to taste)
Crushed red chilli flakes, to taste (optional)
Bunch of flat leaf parsley, chopped to serve(to taste)
Note: * If you can't find Burrata cheese, just use a regular Buffalo Mozzarella cheese ball.
1. In a frying pan, heat olive oil and add sausage. Fry on high heat, until sausage is browned and crisp, stirring often. Lower heat to low and add garlic, bay leaves, thyme, oregano, fennel seeds, lemon zest, lemon juice and tomato paste. Stir to combine. Throw in Romanesco cauliflower outer leaves chopped.
2. Raise heat to medium. Add vermouth, meat will sizzle. Add tomatoes, and stock. Cover and let cook on medium heat for 15 minutes or until reduced by half.
3. Meanwhile, put a large stockpot of water on the hob. Bring to the boil. Add 2 tbsps. of course sea salt and add Romanesco cauliflower florets and Orecchiette pasta. Cook according to package directions for "al dente", about 12 minutes. Cauliflower will cook in same time.
4. After pasta and cauliflower is cooked, drain in colander, and add to sausage mixture. Adjust seasoning and discard bay leaves. Stir and toss to coat in sauce.
Toss in the flat leaf parsley, chopped to taste, stir.
5. Transfer pasta and sauce to a serving dish. Tear burrata cheese into little blobs and serve over pasta. Place in centre of table and let guests serve themselves. Drizzle some Extra virgin olive oil over the pasta to serve.
I like a bit of crushed red chilli flakes, but of course this is optional.
Chop up outer leaves and add to sauce.