Bacalhau Assado no Forno com Cebolada e Grão ❦ Roasted Salt Cod with Chickpeas Onions and Peppers
900 g. Salt cod, Bacalhau, desalted and rehydrated* or fresh cod loins
1 kg. Baby potatoes, skin on, cut in half and parboiled*
400 g. Can of chickpeas, drained
125 ml. Dry white wine
125. ml. Extra virgin olive oil
1 Large tomato, thinly sliced
1 Green bell pepper, cored and cut into strips
1 Red bell pepper, cored and cut into strips
2 Medium onions, thinly sliced
1 Bay leaf
4 Cloves garlic, chopped
1 tbsp. Coarse sea salt
1 tbsp. Tomato paste concentrate
1 tbsp. Sweet paprika, pimenton dulce
2 tbsps. Red or white wine vinegar, or lemon juice
1 Bunch fresh chopped coriander (cilantro), or parsley to taste
Black pepper to taste, optional
* To rehydrate salt cod, rinse excess salt off fillets under cold running water. Place fillets in bowl and cover with fresh cold water. Refrigerate and change water every 4-6 hours. For thicker fillets, like ones used in this recipe, you need 24 hours. You can also read my post here: Homemade Salt Cod Bacalhau
* Place potatoes in a small saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook for 7-8 minutes. Drain and reserve.
1. In an ovenproof dish, arrange parboiled potatoes around the outside in a single layer. Add cod to centre. Top with sliced tomato. Add drained chickpeas and sea salt. Season with freshly cracked black pepper if you wish.
Preheat oven to 200°C /390°F. Make sure your upper oven element is on too.
2. In a small saucepan on high heat, add olive oil, bay leaf, onions, peppers and garlic. Fry until soft and oil is infused with flavour. Lower heat, add wine, vinegar, paprika, and tomato paste. Cook on low for 5 minutes more.
3. Pour onion and pepper mixture all over potatoes and cod.
4. Place in centre of preheated oven and roast for 20-25 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and sprinkle generously with chopped fresh coriander or parsley.
Delicious with a nice chilled Rose wine.